Students in grades 4-8 will have the opportunity to participate in a variety of sports, games, and activities. As they grow and mature, they will be asked to integrate more complex skills and strategies and exhibit increasing abilities in the class. Students will be given a chance to play traditional sports such as soccer, basketball, volleyball, badminton, team handball, etc. They will also be able to work on a variety of individual or pair skills including frisbee toss, juggling, stilts, buddywalker relays, pitching, hoop shoot, and others. Assorted activities that are not traditional team sports or individual skill-builders include Survivor, Obstacle Course, Car Lot, Capture the Pins, Octopus, and more. Every class is mixture of children who are motivated and athletic and those whose interests lay elsewhere. It is our goal to integrate players of all levels and skills and give each child a chance to succeed to the best of his or her abilities. The confidence and satisfaction that comes from having tried one's best is sometimes a palpable thing.
Students are not assessed on their speed, size, strength, or athletic ability. They are assessed on the degree to which they strive to meet to meet standards, embody School Learning Expectations, demonstrate preparedness, sportsmanship, and a positive attitude, and a willingness to participate by consistently putting for their best effort.
Goals for the year
- To demonstrate an ability to learn and adhere to the rules of a variety of sports, games and activities.
- To demonstrate increasing proficiency over time in the execution of specific movements, skills, and strategies.
- To demonstrate knowledge of the importance of an active lifestyle.
- To demonstrate respect to peers, the teacher, the facilities/equipment, and one's self.
- To demonstrate a willingness to participate and expend effort at a high level.
- To have fun and enjoy the process!
Bring P.E. shoes to class! The floor has just been refinished and we want it to stay in good shape for the 375 4-8 students and all the CYO activities...
Wear clothes that you can participate in, particularly if you have P.E on free dress days.