Traffic and Parking Procedures
Each morning and afternoon over 500 families drop off and pick up their children in the middle of an urban neighborhood. Please be considerate of our neighbors, as well as your fellow parents, and follow the Parking and Traffic Procedures; they are necessary for everyone’s safety.
1. Please do not double park on 18th Ave. Drivers may not drop off or pick up students on 18th Ave unless their car is parked in a legal parking space right next to the curb. No double-parking or stopping. Do not drop off or pick up in the traffic circle at 18th & Roy or within 30 feet of the corners (see posted signs). Students coming from, or going to, cars parked on the west side of 18th Ave must use the crosswalks at either end of the block to cross 18th Ave.
2. Please do not use cell phones while driving. Unless they are either parked or dialing 911, drivers may not use cell phones on the school driveways or in the parking lot.
3. Entering the Parking Lot. Please refer to the diagram at the bottom of the page or as a PDF. Use the entry drive on 19th Ave across from Tully's Coffee. This is a one-way drive (entry only). In the afternoon, do not enter the parking lot until after 2:30 p.m. (1:45 p.m. on Tuesdays). PLEASE NOTE: We get complaints about backups on 19th Ave. caused by cars waiting to enter the parking lot. City law prohibits blocking by cars waiting to turn left between intersections. If the entry driveway is full of cars, and if that line is not moving, please drive around the block and try again, rather than delay 19th Ave traffic indefinitely. Circling the block will allow the backed-up traffic to clear safely (instead of trying to speed around you), and the line should open up by the time you circle back. Please refer to the diagram below for any confusion.
4. Two Options in Parking Lot. Drivers have two choices at the top of the entrance drive:
(a) Quick Drop-Off and Pick Up. Keep to the right to make a quick drop-off or pick- up along the curb next to the school. There are two lanes: the curbside lane is for stopping to allow students to hop in or out; the outer lane is for leaving after drop- off/pick-up or for moving forward to an empty spot in the curb lane. For drop-off and pick-up, pull as far forward as you can without entering the exit drive (between the gym and school) or the crosswalk. Please make sure your students are ready to hop out quickly, and do not leave your car unattended. If you need to help your students into the school building, park in the lot.
(b) Parking in the Lot. To park in the lot, make a hard left turn at the top of the ramp. Unless otherwise directed, park according to the parking order diagram found below. For Rows 1-3 and 5, start each row at the far south end (toward the gym), and work northward toward the Church. Please do not skip spaces
5. Leaving the Parking Lot. Please do not leave cars parked in the lot after 8:30 a.m. Exit to the south via the driveway between the gym and school, into Roy Street. During peak times, if an immediate left turn on Roy is impossible due to a back up, turn right on Roy to keep traffic moving behind you. Likewise, if you are stuck at the corner of Roy and 19th and northbound traffic on 19th is backed up, consider turning right on 19th instead of left (or continuing straight across on Roy); this will really help clear traffic stacking up behind you. It is critical that we prevent gridlock in the exit.
6. Keep Your Eyes and Ears Open. Above all else, pay attention to what you and other drivers are doing. Pay attention to parking attendants and crossing guards. Drive SLOWLY. Use your mirrors. Watch for those white "backing up" lights. Remind your students to: look for moving traffic before opening car doors; open and close car doors with care; WALK, never run, during drop-off and pick-up; be watchful of moving cars; and use the crosswalks.